There are many different vision disorders and diseases among the population, but every age group has particular problems. Here are five of the most common eye disorders found among children.
1. Children can often be found to have an eye misalignment called strabismus. It can affect either just one eye or both at the same time. When a child has strabismus, their eyes turn in a different direction such as up or to the side without looking straight ahead. Eyeglasses are used to help promote eye alignment and most recover fine with time.
2. Another common childhood eye condition is amblyopia. Amblyopia is much better known as “lazy eye”. With amblyopia, a child had bad vision in what seems to be a healthy eye. The condition can develop from being cross-eyed or eyes with refractive errors cannot perceive light reflections well enough to see. Treatment usually involves eyeglasses but can also require corrective surgery on the affected eye or eyes.
3. A child can also have eye problems through refractive problems in their eyes. These errors can lead to many different issues with vision. Some of the refractive disorders include farsightedness and nearsightedness. Being nearsighted or farsighted are the most common eye problems among children today and usually wearing glasses helps to make vision much easier.
4. While cataracts are most common among older adults, they can also occur in children. Over half of children who develop cataracts do so do to having a genetic predisposition from their parents. Injury to the eye, especially traumatic injury, can also cause them to occur in the eye of a child. Surgery and eyeglasses are both used for treatment, but eye surgery is considered the most effective treatment.
5. Astigmatism is caused by imperfect curvature of the eye. It creates blurred vision and usually affects both eyes on the child. Eyeglasses are the most common treatment for astigmatism, but they cannot cure the issue.
If you suspect your child has a visual problem, go see your eye doctor as soon as possible for a proper diagnosis.
Our goal at Pines Vision is to provide the local community with the very latest in eyecare technology in order to help each one of our patients achieve the best possible vision. Call our office at 954-621-3967 to schedule an appointment!